I have to give it to Instagram – it's a great way to keep track of your memories.
When I decided to write about this year (because let's be honest: 2016 was quite the year), I wanted to open with one of my favorite moments. Really bring you there with me. But I sat and stared at the blank page before me, not being able to choose between the countless stories that popped into my head.
So, of course, like the millennial I am, I opened Instagram for the millionth time today and went to my page and scrolled through everything I had posted this year. For me, that's not a lot; I used to post maybe once or twice a week at most.
It took me a second to realize I was smiling. All of these photos had become a collection of everything that was monumental this year. And, regardless of the political strife that occurred only weeks ago, I have to admit: 2016 was pretty damn awesome.
So, for those of you that may enjoy sharing in others' moments, I give you my favorite memories from 2016 (and thanks again, Instagram, for helping a girl out):
- 2016 began with two of my closest college friends, one of whom joined me in New York later that year as my roommate and coworker. It also began in a little part of New York I like to call home: Astoria.
- The love of my Danish life, rugbrod, crossed the pond and joined me in America (shout out to Meyers Bageri for taking the leap).
- Turns out Beyoncé is just as good live as she is recorded (and in my dreams).
- I watched my sister graduate high school, and tried my hardest not to cry when I watched her leave for Boulder, CO.
- I shared in the excitement of my two closest NYC friends moving in together, even if it meant losing one of them as a roommate. Later this year, I became a proud dog aunt to Rangeley, their adorable adopted pup.
- Mini Melanie moved up in the production world, twice. You can find us trying to be hipster in South Williamsburg, where Melanie now owns her own brand-spanking-new kitchen in the Old Pfizer Building.
- Turns out pilots can be pretty cool, so I took them off my "dealbreaker" list and started dating a sir Craig Steve. Took us five years but we finally made it happen after he won a round trip to LA to see the War Dogs movie premier and decided to take me with him. Love you, Craigo!
- I checked off a bucket list item and sat in a metal tube for almost 24 hours to go visit a dear friend and family in Sydney, Australia. Oy, Straya mate! Still not Aussie enough? Damn.
- My Canon recently became number one on my tangible-things-I-love-the-most list.
- I spent the holidays with my entire family, happy as ever.
So thanks, 2016, for opening my eyes and heart to a world of adventure and endless love.
To everyone that was a part of this wonderful year: cheers! Here's to another one.